Police

Laying complaints against police officers

Police in Lae made this known after they realised that though numerous allegations were made against members of the force, formal complaints were not filed.

“A post on social media is good but you must follow it up with factual evidence by way of registering your complaint in person, being interviewed by Internal Investigation Unit members and providing a signed statement,” said Chief Superintendent Anthony Wagambie Jnr.

“Only through this can your complaint be acted on.”

Baki disagrees with cash incentive proposal

Commissioner Baki made this comment following announcements made by the National Capital District Metropolitan Superintendent, Perou N’Dranou, of his intention to pay cash bonuses for prescribed number of arrests made by police men and women within his command.

Sexual assault of minors still a concern

The NCD metropolitan superintendent says plans are already in place for policing strategies for 2019.

Chief superintendent Perou N’Dranou says the Police Commissioner’s annual conference late last year has given them the mandate to enforce changes.

He highlighted that one of the concern areas for 2018 was the sexual assault of minors.

“We’ve been working on it,” he said. “We saw some improvements at the end of the year (2018) and we tend to work more on it.”

Peaceful NGI celebrations

East New Britain Province reported a quiet New Year’s Eve and day celebration with no major incidents.

Provincial Police Commander, Joseph Tabali, said as was for Christmas, the province was quiet. The only incident was a missing boat from Namatanai which was recovered on Sunday in the Duke of York waters.

In Manus, local police, assisted by Mobile Squad 18, were out in full force On December 31st, 2018, and January 1st, 2019.

Lae police prepare for festive period

Anthony Wagambie Jnr says they have already started the pre-festive season operations.

The Lae police boss has given residents the assurance that his team will be out in full force during the Christmas and New Year period.  

“They should expect to see police all over the place, we’ll have them positioned in all parts of the city,” he said.

“And I encourage the public to make use of our toll free number – 7090 3300 – to call police if they see anything happening, or anything about to happen, or if they feel unsafe.

28 crimes nationwide, nine arrests

This is according to the daily crime summary provided by the office of the Deputy Commissioner of Police and Chief of Operations, Jim Andrews.

The 28 crimes include: two murders, five rape cases, two robberies, three break-in domestic, one stealing of motor vehicle, four stealing, one fraud, eight grievous bodily harm and two abduction cases.

Eight crimes were reported in Morobe Province, six in Enga, four in Southern Highlands and ten reported in the National Capital District.

Brief statements of crimes reported nationwide:

Police officers to be deployed to Alotau

The Commissioner said 10 were sent on Monday to assist local police prevent opportunists from taking advantage of the locals’ frustration.

Commissioner Baki also confirmed that the officer driving the vehicle, was a member of the Lae Police who travelled in two patrol boats in to Alotau for a pit stop, before heading out to Port Moresby.

He said while there, local police asked for assistance after reports came that a hard-core criminal, who escaped jail in Port Moresby, was in town.

Alotau power station shuts down amid safety concerns

In a notice released today, PPL said: “Electricity supply will not be restored until the situation returns to normal and PNG Power is sure of its properties and staff safety.”

This newsroom was advised by locals on ground that tension remains high while the town is still on lockdown, and gunshots have been heard in town since yesterday evening.

“As of last night people had been burning tyres and there was a shootout at Goilanai Bridge,” Loop PNG was told.

2 deaths from accident, Alotau shuts down

Four women and a child were knocked down this morning by a hired vehicle used by police from Lae.

“It was instant death for the child, who was around 5-6 years old, while one of the women passed away whilst under treatment at Alotau Health Centre at about 1-2pm,” said Milne Bay provincial police commander, George Bayagau.

“The other three are fighting for their lives.”

Bayagau said the visiting police personnel were on their way to APEC in Port Moresby.

Over a year without electricity

The Red Sea Bomana Police Barracks has been without electricity since April 2017, and proper sewerage system.

Yesterday morning the officers and their families closed off the main gate into the barracks as protest over the longstanding issues.

However, following a meeting with ACP Central and NCD, Donald Yamasombi, and senior NCD Police Members, the main gate was opened allowing movement.

Police officers have given until Monday 22nd for a proper response or else they will carry out a similar protest.