Police

Suspect arrested over 12yo’s rape

A 12-year-old girl was allegedly pack raped on July 8th by three men at ward 4 in Lorengau.

Manus provincial police commander (PPC), Chief Inspector David Yapu, said one suspects had been picked up and arrested, while the other two will be arrested soon.

The incident that took place last Monday saw the 12-year-old girl sexually penetrated in three different houses.

Suspect in EC office break-in apprehended

Manus provincial police commander (PPC), Chief Inspector David Yapu, said the suspect was picked up last Friday, July 5th, at the Ward 5 market in Lorengau, where he was later charged.

Frustrated at the incident of June 28th, PPC Yapu said this is the fourth time the PNG Electoral Commission office was broken into.

He said people must respect this office as they are ready to go out and deliver the LLG Elections for the people of Manus to elect their leaders for their ward level.

Hong Kong extradition protests: Thousands join Kowloon march

Protesters marched in an area popular with mainland Chinese tourists, in a bid to explain their concerns over a controversial extradition bill.

Hong Kong enjoys rights and freedoms not seen on mainland China, including free speech and the right to protest.

Later on Sunday riot police charged a group of protesters with batons.

Police had warned the group to disperse. Demonstrators were seen using umbrellas to defend themselves from the charge.

Footage from the scene showed police detaining several protesters.

NCD Police refresher for members

Fourteen officers recently received certificates for undergoing the two-day course.

The refresher training for supervisors’ roles and responsibilities was the first but certainly not the last for this year.

Supported by Bel Isi PNG, the program started on Thursday, the 6th of June, and ended with the certification of police officers the next day.

NCD Metropolitan Superintendent, Perou N’Dranou, told the 14 senior constables and sergeants that the Royal PNG Constabulary depends on supervisors like them.

State of Origin-related death: NCD police

NCD Metropolitan Superintendent, Perou N’Dranou, questioned why Papua New Guineans would put their own lives on the line for an event that they would gain nothing from.

Police in the nation’s capital have reported two major incidents related to the State of Origin (SOO) match on the 5th of June.

Both incidents occurred in the early hours of Thursday. The first one was a confirmed homicide case at Vadavada following a drunken brawl amongst SOO supporters at 2am.

“Deceased was from Chuave, Simbu, while the suspect was from Goilala,” said N’Dranou.

Attempted suicides concerning

There have been reported cases of attempted suicide and self-harming by refugees in Manus over the past years due to mental depression.

Last month alone saw four cases of attempted suicide among refugees housed at the East Lorengau Transit Centre in Manus.

Provincial Police Commander, Chief Inspector David Yapu, is raising concerns on the incidents.

He said between 25th May and 31st May, three refugees attempted suicide while one tried to set his accommodation on fire.

Church elder arrested

The 56-year-old church elder from one of the mainline churches is alleged to have ‘sexually touched’ a 12-year-old victim on two occasions.

The man from the Balopa LLG allegedly sexually touched the minor in February 2014 and in April 18 this year.

PPC Manus Chief Inspector David Yapu said such an incident involving a church elder is immoral and against church values, bringing a bad image to the church.

YFIG says Police statement untrue

On 13 May 2019, Police, Drug and Vice Squad confiscated one 40 foot and one 20 foot container of fake cigarettes.

In a statement the management said in discussing the contents of the containers in the media, the police “irresponsibly stated that Kennedy Estate YFIG was involved in the fake cigarettes which they busted in January 2019”.

“It is unfortunate our corporate name YFIG has been mentioned by the Police, Drug and Vice Squad and we are seeking legal advice on the possible defamation of our corporate name and reputation,” it said.

Family demands explanation from police

The 17-year-old from Eastern Highlands Province was among curious onlookers who turned up at Boroko, seeking answers to rumours of abduction and kidnapping in the city, when he met his fate.

His sister, who was with him at Boroko, said he was rushed to the Port Moresby General Hospital 20-30 minutes after he was shot.

A source from the hospital who attended to the deceased reliably told this newsroom that the bullet entered the back of his skull and was lodged above his ear.

Residents urged to be vigilant

Commander NCD/Central Assistant Commissioner Donald Yamasombi said the reports, including that of a young girl who reportedly freed herself after being abducted at Four-Mile, were not registered with police so cannot be confirmed.

“This particular case was not formally reported and registered with police but we are not taking this matter lightly and doing everything within our means to investigate and take appropriate police action,” ACP Yamasombi said.