Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)

More PPE from KPHL, WHO

This was his message when receiving donations from Kumul Petroleum Holdings Limited and the World Health Organisation (WHO) on Friday.

“The message must be clear to our people. We are in the new normal stage now and our people must never go back to the old ways where you think you don’t have to wash your hands before you eat…Continue to be vigilant,” Minister Wong stressed.

Medical experts appeal against complacency

Medical experts have strongly urged citizens to maintain the hygiene practices and social distancing protocols, after confirming on Saturday, that NCD has a second COVID-19 case.

After reporting its 9th COVID-19 case, Papua New Guinea is still very much at risk of the coronavirus.

Medical experts have again urged citizens not to be complacent, as local scientists work under much pressure to get as many tests done to see how exposed citizens are, to the coronavirus.

Control measures issued

Manning made these measures following his reappointment as the Controller under the National Pandemic Act 2020 passed by the National Parliament.

Manning said these measures are basically reemphasizing the COVID-19 protocols that were put in place during the past three months of the State of Emergency period.

“As we transit from the SOE into the new normal, the danger still remains high and therefore we must continue to remain vigilant,” he stressed.

NCD reports new COVID-19 case

This afternoon, the State of Emergency controller and key medical experts confirmed the case in a press conference.

Deputy SoE Controller, Dr Paison Dakulala, said the new case is a 44-year-old male expatriate, currently residing in the nation’s capital.

“Three tests were conducted using the GeneXpert and PCR (polymerase chain reaction). The third test came back positive, which was confirmed by Queensland laboratories. He is recovering at the moment.

K113m from stimulus package for agriculture, food security

“This agriculture and food security funding, the biggest element of our K600 million in direct budget funding support on COVID-19, recognises the fact that agriculture underpins the livelihoods of most Papua New Guineans,” Treasurer Ian Ling-Stuckey said. “Over 85 percent of the population depends on subsistence agriculture for consumption and cash cropping for income.

“COVID-19 is a tricky, hidden enemy. Good decisions by the government have helped protect PNG. But there is still great uncertainty, and the experts are telling us that we must stay alert.

US$1m to support province’s COVID-19 response

IOM, UNFPA and UNICEF will work with the Western Provincial Government, including the Western Provincial Health Authority, the North Fly District Government, the Catholic Diocese of Daru and Kiunga, and other national and local partners. The funding will assist these partners in addressing needs for water and sanitation, nutrition and maternal and neonatal health as part of their ongoing COVID-19 response.

In announcing the funding, UN Resident Coordinator, Gianluca Rampolla, acknowledged the unique challenges faced by the response team in Western Province.

Warning issued to citizens under quarantine

Manning said this following reports of citizens not taking heed of the control measures put in place.

“I must warn citizens that are coming into the country that the 14-day quarantine period and the protocols in place under the SOE are non-negotiable. Everyone must complete the 14-day quarantine period and must be cleared by a designated medical officer before leaving the quarantine facility,” Manning stressed.

12,000 rapid test kits received

Australia’s Deputy High Commissioner, Caitlin Wilson, was at the Jackson’s International Airport to formally receive the supplies and hand them over to Minister for Health and HIV, Jelta Wong, for the PNG Government distribution and use.

The shipment also included 380 more GeneXpert tests; the first batch of which arrived last week. Over 1000 cartridges have now been provided.

Schulz disappointed with handling of case

The East New Britain woman, who was declared positive on April 6th, said the Government handled her case “poorly”.

“Especially when it was a health issue,” she said.

“Our number one code of medical ethics is patient confidentiality and apparently, that code of ethics did not apply for me as a patient of COVID-19.

“I am very disheartened by the fact that my identity and results was leaked to the corporate community in East New Britain as well as the public.

UN’s backing of PNG’s COVID-19 response

This support is aided by funding that has been secured from the governments of Australia, India, Japan, New Zealand, United States and the World Bank.

“The UN is also engaging with donors to re-programme funding where relevant, as for example with resources available through the Spotlight Initiative to invest into work that will ensure safety for women and girls that are affected by gender-based violence.”